Indoor Electrical Safety

One of the most important places to practice electrical safety is in your home. Unfortunately, it's where the effects of an accident can be devastating. The following tips have been provided to keep your family and your property safe. indoor safety Check your power cords. Always make sure that the power cords in your home do not show any signs of wear and tear. If they are damaged in any way replace them immediately. Use extension cords sparingly. Extension cords are for temporary use only. Using them for a long period may cause them to overheat or lead to a fire. Never hide them under a rug. Contact a licensed electrician when needed. Signs of wiring issues include continually replacing fuses and resetting circuit breakers or seeing sparks or flickering lights. Use extreme caution around flammables. Place halogen lamps and space heaters away from curtains and other flammable materials. Remember that electricity and water don't mix. Never put a radio, telephone or hair dryer on the edge of the bathtub or sink. If an appliance falls into water, turn the power off at the breaker before you unplug the appliance or remove it from the water. Follow manufacturers' instructions. Ensure power bars are not overloaded; only use the suggested wattage for light bulbs and the correct fuses or circuit breakers in your electrical panel. Ensure you read, understand and follow the owners' manuals that come with heating pads, electric blankets, space heaters and other electric appliances.

More Information

To read more electrical safety tips for inside your home, visit the Electrical Safety Authority's website.